Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Food Around the World

It is so interesting to see what people eat all around the world. Off of the videos that I watched on the website, the weirdest thing to me was the ice cream flavors in Las Angeles. As normal as ice cream flavors are, I think it's just weird to me because I expect to see things different from what I eat in other countries, but I thought that in the U.S. we were all basically on the same diet. But obviously not because I would never eat banana peanut butter bacon ice cream! I can't imagine people who would enjoy that and they are not even that far away from me.
I am not a very adventurous person when it comes to trying food. I did one time eat at a restaurant in Lincoln called The Oven. This is Indian food. I was so nervous going there because I knew there would be nothing that I like. They eat a lot of lamb and pork rather than beef or chicken. All of their sauces and everything were just really weird to me. I ended up not liking it of course, but it was a good experience.
The reason I think that we eat so differently around the world is due to culture and where we are in the world. Being in Nebraska, it isn't convenient for us to be able to go out fishing every day and come home with fish for dinner. But in Japan where sushi is big, that's what is common. It also has to do with what we grow up eating. I'm not very apt to try things because I never ate anything that wasn't considered a pretty American food growing up! These things influence what we eat and don't eat in our lives and when we get the chance to try someone else's culture of food we should do it so we can experience many different things!

No comments:

Post a Comment